Employment is one of the significant sources of income for most Bangladeshi citizens. Home to over 167 million people, a substantial portion of the country’s population suffers from extreme poverty. Thus, the government sought to address this problem by increasing the number of available jobs across all sectors.
The primary reason global companies choose Bangladesh for business expansion is its stable economy and the availability of cheap skilled labor. The Bangladeshi government encourages foreign investment through tax-beneficial incentives to foreign investors. The sectors receiving maximum foreign investment include -
- ~The textile/garment industry
- ~Leather goods
- ~Medical equipment
- ~Information and communications technology (ICT)
However, Bangladesh’s background check law is stringent about hiring local employees and employer-employee accountability. Naturally, employers entering the market must design a legally-compliant employee screening process.
This article will brief you with information regarding employment background checks in Bangladesh.
What Is Employment Background Verification?
Employee background screening focuses on assessing different metrics of a candidate, including their employment history, criminal records, documents of commercial and financial categories, and other activities to verify their authenticity. Usually, the HR department performs these checks for potential employees by implementing a standard background check system.
Employee Screening in Bangladesh verifies a candidate’s:
- ~Education history
- ~Employment history
- ~Credit history
- ~Criminal records
Benefits of Background Checks in Bangladesh
Employee screening in Bangladesh allows organizations to hire reliable and responsible candidates who can bring value to the company. Such reviews are crucial for the company’s well-being because they ensure:
- ~Improved quality of hiring candidates: Hiring trustworthy and skilled candidates helps increase the organization's overall productivity, further boosting profits and workplace efficiency.
- ~Reduced negligent hiring possibilities: Negligent hiring can bring numerous risks associated with workplace safety, financial loss, etc. Employee screening minimizes the chances of negligent hiring.
- ~Enhanced regulatory compliance: A global PEO/EOR service provider can help employers meet industrial standards and federal regulatory requirements. Thus, they can avoid legal hassles.
- ~Assurance of workplace safety: Workplace safety is of utmost importance. Each employee is entitled to a clean, healthy, and safe work environment to perform their daily duties without compromising physical and mental well-being.
- ~Reduced substance abuse: Conducting regular background checks on existing employees reduces the possibility of substance abuse in the workplace. Employees become more responsible and proactive.
Are Background Checks Legal in Bangladesh?
The Labor Act in Bangladesh does not prohibit employers from screening candidates. Hence, an employer can conduct background checks on potential recruits. They may also hire third-party vendors for screening applicants. However, if employers need to gather sensitive personal information for a specific check, they must notify the candidate and obtain their consent.
However, employers cannot perform checks on a candidate’s protected categories such as race, sex, or religion. Discrimination against employees is illegal in Bangladesh.
Things to Know When Performing a Background Check in Bangladesh?
Employers must follow a meticulous process while conducting an employee background screening in Bangladesh. Most companies usually have strict background check policies, allowing only the best candidates to bag senior-level positions.
A standard employee background check in Bangladesh includes -
Past employment verification is necessary for all employees. Some studies suggest that over 40% of applications and resumes consist of falsified information. While hiring, employers should consider relevant details like the previous employer's name, applicant’s position, service duration, eligibility for rehiring, etc.
Employers should verify the educational qualifications of potential employees. Applicants must mention and prove essentials like name, date of birth, list of educational institutions, degrees, percentage of attendance, city of education, etc.
A criminal background check in Bangladesh requires documents like residential address, guardian’s name, and release dates (if any). It is mainly conducted through the local level court of the allotted city. This search hunts for a candidate’s felony-level convictions in the last seven years, considering crucial data like file date, location, case number, charge(s), disposition information, and sentence period.
Typically performed by expert agents, the Bangladesh Credit Report searches for derogatory or misleading credit information. The final report highlights bankruptcies, court judgments, overdue loans, financial problems, etc.
Social media check
Employers can run a background check on a candidate’s social media to assess their social media behavior, intention, and activities. It involves tracking digital platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.
Information Essential for Background Check in Bangladesh
Certain essential information is required for background checks in Bangladesh. This can be divided into the following categories:
Identity and Credentials:
- ~Government ID Verification
- ~Passport Verification
- ~Address Proof Verification
Verifications and References:
- ~Education Verification
- ~Employment Verification
- ~Professional License Verification
Credit and Finance:
- ~Credit Records
- ~Bankruptcy Records Check (both for citizens and non-citizens)
- ~Civil Records Check
- ~Criminal Records Check
Driver and Motor Vehicle:
- ~Driver license verification
Process Involved in Background Checks in Bangladesh
Employment background checks in Bangladesh are mandatory for all candidates applying for jobs there. The steps to perform a background check are:
- ~Consistent policies: Employers must first create a comprehensive check policy that complies with the country’s labor rules. Unstructured frameworks can cause discrepancies in the screening process, leading to mismanagement and other risks for the company.
- ~Acquiring legal advice: Since most background checks deal with sensitive information, certain domains remain inaccessible. It’s best to get professional legal help to understand the various terms and conditions for background checks in Bangladesh before treading these lines to avoid legal hassles in performing these roles.
- ~Give candidates a chance to clarify: Recruiters often receive incorrect information even after performing an extensive background check on potential employees. Thus, it is recommended to conduct personal interviews with candidates to obtain clarifications on any discrepancies or confusion.
- ~Use industry-compliant background check services: Like any other country, Bangladesh also has legally-compliant background check services to help businesses screen potential employees before offering them a job. These firms are well-versed with the dos and don’ts of background checks. So, hiring their screening services is a wise call for employers.
Industries and Situations That are Most Suitable for Background Checks in Bangladesh
The industries that consider background checks in Bangladesh as the most viable option for employee screening are:
- ~Marketplaces and gig firms
- ~Banking and financial institutions
- ~Healthcare facilities
- ~Retail services
How Multiplier Helps With Background Checks?
Hiring and onboarding employees can be tedious and complex, particularly when expanding business overseas. You must be aware of the country’s laws and regulations to avoid legal troubles.
Our experts are well-versed in the laws of over 150 countries globally. Hence, we can help you onboard talents compliantly and facilitate the background check by helping you outsource it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are background checks necessary?
Background checks bring about a safe and reliable environment and prevent future risks. The employment history also indicates the performance of the candidate. This helps create a healthy and safe workspace.
How long does it take to conduct employee screening?
The duration depends on the legal procedures the employer chooses for screening. State and industry laws are also different regarding background checks of an employee.
Is background checking a long process?
Background checks and their intensity vary from country to country. While the process itself may be intensive, however, for the most part, it is not a time-consuming affair. Most governments ensure a smooth transition and reduce background check times to attract business and talent.