Why is Work Permit Needed?
A work permit is a document or a certificate that grants and confirms foreigners’ ability to work in Laos. The type of work permit is determined by the nature of the job: skilled, unskilled, critical, entrepreneur, and so on.
About the Laos Job Market
Mentioned below are some of the vital information about the Laos job market:
Types of Laos Work Visa
Laos work permits are availed by people who want to visit or travel to Las for employment and other professional reasons. The type of visas will also depend on the nature and the duration of the work.
Listed below are some of the types of Laos work visas that can be obtained for working in Laos:
Expert Visa (E-B2)
These visas are required by foreign professionals employed in international and non-government organizations in Laos. Experts here refer to the people who have been serving the government and are posted at high levels in the system.
Investor Visa (NI-B2)
People apply for these visas if they belong to a foreign nation and are interested in investing in a registered company in Laos. They usually have an investment license or a company registration document for the record.
People can also apply for a multi-entry investor visa for three months to 1 year, depending on their requirement. Along with the investor visa, the Stay permit is also essential for multiple visits to Laos. To obtain a multiple entry visa and an SP, the applicant must provide a copy of the NI-B2 Visa and investment-related documentation and a passport copy.
Labor Visa (LA-B2)
People from other countries working on a fixed-term employment contract must obtain this visa. These are very common as a lot of people travel to Laos for contractual work. However, legal employment in Laos is mandatory before applying for a Labor visa.
Employment Laws for Foreign Nationals in Laos
Employees from other countries are covered by employment law. The Labor Law of 2013 governs all matters with foreign employees working in the business sector or international organizations, embassies, and non-governmental organizations in Lao PDR.
To work in Lao PDR, a foreign worker must meet the following legal requirements:
- Must be at least twenty years old;
- Must have the necessary abilities and a professional level for the position;
- Have a clean criminal record, be in good health, and meet any other requirements considered necessary.
Requirements for a Laos Work Permit by Laos Employers
Listed below are essential prerequisites when applying for a Laos work permit:
- Your company must be registered in Laos.
- You should provide the job letter to the employee you want to hire.
- The work permit also states the nature of the job and the responsibilities. Therefore, accurate information is needed.
- The employee should hold a valid passport.
- The person will require an investment license if traveling to invest in a business registered in Laos.
Some documents that are a must while applying for a work permit in Laos are:
- A valid passport which is valid for at least six months from departure
- Other travel documents
- Duly signed and filled visa application form
- Tickets for a round trip in case of a short trip
- Two recent passport size color photographs
- A proof of fund that will substantiate your purchasing capacity in Laos
- Company’s appointment letter or a cover letter printed on the company’s letterhead that has employed the person.
- Bank statements for the last three months
Laos Work Permit Application Process
The application process for a Laos work permit is straightforward. Follow the steps listed below to apply for a Laos work visa:
- Decide if you want to apply on paper or online.
- If you decide to apply on paper, you need to visit the local embassy of the employee’s country and get a paper form.
- For online applications, you can reach out to any third-party companies that provide these services. They will complete all the formalities on behalf of the employees.
- On every passport, you can only apply for one visa.
- The applicant must be present in the visa application center if you have opted in for an offline process.
- The name and other details should match with the documents presented as proof.
- Carrying the appointment letter is mandatory during the Laos work visa process.
- If the employee cannot visit the embassy for his application, he can reschedule his appointment twice. No further rescheduling is allowed.
- The work permit Laos cost lies in the range of $5 to $150. The cost will depend on the country in which the employee resides.
Timeframe for Work Permit Application
The timeframe for all kinds of work and other visas is different. However, listed below are some crucial timeframes you should consider while applying for a Laos work permit.
How Does Multiplier Help with Work Permit?
We have local entities in over 150+ countries as a worldwide EOR solution, allowing firms like yours to hire and employ employees from all over the world. In addition, our in-house professionals have enhanced this portfolio of HR products, allowing us to provide end-to-end solutions to our consumers.
You can seek a Laos work permit via our SaaS-based solution, and our in-house professionals will handle the entire procedure, including the processing time, expenses, and paperwork checklist, as well as keep you updated throughout the process.