Why is Work Permit Needed?
Foreign workers willing to work in Japan need to have a legitimate Japan work visa as per the laws established by the Immigration Authority. Furthermore, the work permits are valid only if they are sponsored by a locally licensed and incorporated entity and secured by the firm for the employees.
About the Japan Job Market
Types of Japan Work Visa Available
There are different types of Japan work visa available which are used for different purposes. However, here are some of the most common ones used:
Specified Skilled Worker Visa:
This visa is issued to foreign workers who are visiting Japan to fill the employment gaps in some sectors.
Specified Skills Visa 1-SSV1:
People working in sectors like shipbuilding, agriculture, nursing care and others are considered skilled workers in Japan and can apply for this visa. To get approval for the visa, one has to appear for Japanese language tests and technical exams.
The visa is issued for one year and can be renewed for up to five years. However, if one wants to stay longer than five years, they must apply for the 2-SSV2 visa.
Specified Skills Visa 2-SSV2:
The holders of this visa can renew it innumerable times and can also bring their family members to the country. One with visa 1-SSV1 can also apply for this visa after they get a higher level of expertise in their field.
Requirements for a Japan Work Permit and by Japan Employers
People entering the country for anything besides tourism must have the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) before getting a Japan work visa or permit. The COE is valued as proof that the applicant is eligible and can legally come to Japan for work, family or any other valid reason. This is also required during the visa application process, so employees must have it beforehand.
This may vary from visa to visa, but some of the Japan work visa requirements are common, including:
- You must have a job offer from a Japanese company
- You must have a valid passport
- You must fill and submit the Visa application form
- You must submit your photograph (not older than six months)
Japan Work Permit Application Process
Thinking about how to get a working visa in Japan? Here is the step-by-step application process to apply for the visa without any hassle.
- For getting a work visa in Japan, one requires a sponsor in Japan (most likely the employer). The sponsorer has to apply for the Certificate of Eligibility on behalf of the employee at the local immigration office. It takes at least three months for the certificate to be issued, and it is valid for three months.
- Once the COE is issued, one can apply for a Japan work visa. However, the documents for the visa application may vary for different types of visas.
- In the case of a specified skills visa, the employees have to submit a points calculation based on their skills. To be eligible for the visa, the applicant must have a score of more than 70.
- The employer must also have some required documents for the visa application process. The requirements include:
- A letter of guarantee
- An official invitation letter issued to the candidate
- A list of visa applicants
- Essential details of your company
- A detailed itinerary in Japan
Overview of Japan Work Permit Fees
The applicants have to pay a fee for a Japan work visa which may vary according to the visa for which they’re going to apply. The fee also depends on the nationality of the applicants and if they want a single or multiple entry process. A single entry visa costs 3,000 JPY or $30, and a multiple entry visa costs 6,000 JPY or $60.
How Multiplier Can Help
With local entities in 100+ countries, our global EOR solution is on a mission to simplify international hiring and compliance for companies looking to expand around the world. Our team of in-house experts has developed HR suites that help you manage talent from all across the world and avail end-to-end solutions to your problems.
With our SaaS-based solutions, you can raise your request for a Japan work visa and work permit. Post that, our team experts will supervise the entire process. We will keep you informed throughout the process.