Cambodia is known for its flourishing economy, making it a standout in the global marketplace. It is known to be one of the top locations for foreign companies to establish offshore businesses. Due to the inflow of foreign investments, the country’s economy has grown in recent years, with total GDP amounting to $26.96 billion in 2021.
However, if you are first establishing your business in Cambodia, keep yourself updated and prepare for the challenges you face. From Cambodian labor laws to the fundamentals of hiring employees, ensure you make every effort to stay compliant and flourish in the market.
To know more about the processes involved in employee screening in Cambodia, you can refer to this article as a composite guide.
What Is Employment Background Verification?
Job background checks are an essential part of the recruiting process. With employment background verification, an employer validates the accuracy of a job candidate’s previous employment history, educational qualifications, criminal records, and other pertinent information. In a word, it is a method of ensuring that the hired individual is trustworthy and capable.
It often entails performing a thorough background check on candidates to see whether they have the necessary skills and expertise to perform the job effectively. These checks are also a chance to double-check their employment history to ensure that it corresponds to what they have stated on their CV or application.
One crucial thing to note is that before conducting background checks in Cambodia, the employer must obtain written consent from the candidate, informing them of the intention and scope of the investigation.
Benefits of Background Checks in Cambodia
Some of the benefits of running an employee screening in Cambodia are as follows:-
- Employee background screening in Cambodia assists in identifying candidates who need to meet the job’s qualifications or standards.
- An employment background check in Cambodia can assist in identifying candidates who have a criminal past, exhibit violent conduct, or engage in other behaviors that may jeopardize other employees or the workplace.
- Employing the wrong people can damage a company’s brand name and reputation. In Cambodia, a thorough employment background check can assist in defending the company’s reputation and trustworthiness.
- By employing qualified employees who are perfect and suited for the job and the corporate culture, employers may increase employee happiness, establish a positive work environment, and reduce turnover.
- In the long run, employee screening in Cambodia can help firms save time and money by minimizing hiring and training costs for unsuitable individuals and the possible costs of legal action and damages caused by negligent hiring practices.
Are Background Checks Legal in Cambodia?
Yes, background checks are permitted in Cambodia. Employers and other organizations may conduct background checks on persons for various reasons, including job screening, rental applications, and security clearances. However, it is vital to remember that any background check must adhere to Cambodian laws and regulations, including data privacy rules.
Individuals also have the right to know if a background check has been performed on them and to access the information collected from the check. Employee background checks in Cambodia include the following:-
- Criminal background checks
- Contact requests from previous employers
- Social media search (LinkedIn, Facebook)
Employers, however, require the employee’s consent before conducting a pre-employment background check in Cambodia. This guarantees that the employee’s privacy is not violated. The information acquired must be pertinent to the work and adhere to data protection standards. Employers must also verify that there is no gender, age, race, or religious discrimination during background checks in Cambodia.
Things to Know When Performing a Background Check in Cambodia
To optimize functionality, employers need to build a strong team of experts. Hence, a background check is necessary to assess how suitable they are. An HR background check in Cambodia usually screens for the information listed below:-
A candidate’s employment history is mandatorily used as part of employee screening in Cambodia to ensure that the candidate meets the requirements for the job. Employers often investigate an applicant’s employment history to validate their CV or job application facts. During this time, the employer may:-
- Call the applicant’s previous employers to crosscheck the employment dates, job title and duties, and reason for resignation.
- To learn more about the applicant’s previous performance and get recommendations from ex-superiors.
- Check whether the educational institution has taken any disciplinary procedures against the candidate.
Verification of education history is a standard procedure during employment screening in Cambodia. It helps facilitate the best hiring decisions possible by confirming that the candidate meets the educational requirements for the job. It usually entails the following:
- Checking if a person’s educational records (diplomas, certificates, degrees, and transcripts) are authentic.
- Inquiring with the candidates’ educational institutions to confirm if they had indeed been enrolled, their graduation status, and academic accomplishments.
- To determine whether or not the educational institution has instituted any disciplinary procedures against the candidate.
In Cambodia, a criminal record check is a routine aspect of the employment background check for job seekers. Businesses may do a criminal background check on candidates to ensure they have no convictions that might endanger the firm or its workers. Positions requiring the handling of sensitive information, working with vulnerable populations, or working in law enforcement or security may necessitate thorough criminal background checks.
During background checks in Cambodia, employers conduct credit checks on job applicants. It is a mandate for employers to inform the job applicant about credit checks to obtain consent. The employer must ensure that the information gathered through credit checks is accurate, relevant, and to the point. The employer must also exercise caution to protect the information’s confidentiality.
During employee background screening in Cambodia, employers can gather relevant information to establish an employment relationship with the applicant. Employers can learn about job applicants through online sources and portfolios, but only with the applicant’s permission. Companies should also avoid discriminating against candidates based on ethnicity, religion, gender, or political affiliation. They must not infringe on the applicant’s privacy or dignity.
Information Essential for a Background Check in Cambodia
An employee background screening in Cambodia might require the following information:-
- Personal details: Name, birth date, and address of the candidate
- Employment History: Details about the ex-employers of the candidate, including job titles and employment dates
- Education: Details about the individual’s academic certifications and qualifications.
- Criminal Records: Includes criminal history, like convictions, arrests, and sentencing. The Criminal Office at Cambodia’s Ministry of Justice (MoJ) offers criminal records.
- Credit history: Financial details and credit reports.
Process Involved in Background Checks in Cambodia
Background checks in Cambodia aim to verify if a person is fit for a job position in a company. Some of the standard processes that an employee background check in Cambodia entails are as follows:-
- Keeping the candidate informed: The first step is to notify the candidates that you are conducting a background check and the scope of this process. You have to obtain their consent before commencing with it. The best way to gain consent is by requesting each applicant to go through and sign a background check notification form.
- Check references: Reference check is a critical part of the employee screening process as it provides employers with more information about the work ethics of the applicant. Make a reference check form and keep a list of questions ready to ask when you crosscheck references.
- Commence with the background checking process: Upon receiving consent go forwards with the background verification procedure, which will include:
- Personal details
- Employment history
- Education history
- Criminal history
- Credit record
- Review the results: Lastly, evaluate the applicant’s results after the screening procedure and decide on hiring. If the candidate fails this process, notify them by highlighting the reason. Give the applicant a chance to challenge this decision and explain. If a candidate succeeds in the verification process, proceed with the job offer and the onboarding process.
Industries and Situations That are Most Suitable for Background Checks in Cambodia
Employee screening is typically conducted to ensure that a candidate is ideal for a company’s job position. Background checks in Cambodia are commonly conducted in the following industries:
- Financial sector
- Healthcare sector
- Educational sector
- Government sector
- Retail businesses
- Restaurant businesses
How Multiplier Helps With Background Checks
Multiplier offers stellar services for new businesses to help resolve all issues arising while establishing an offshore venture. We also provide background screening services to foreign companies to help them run their hiring operations smoothly. Our team of dedicated professionals are experts and possess hands-on knowledge to aid new business owners in their endeavors.