Why is Work Permit Needed?
Often known as the bridge between Europe and Asia, Turkey is called the hub for tourism, business, and trade. Due to this, the country offers a plethora of work opportunities to foreign nationals.
To work in Turkey, a foreign national must have an authorized work visa and work permit. Without a Turkey work permit visa, a foreign national cannot work in the country.
About the Turkey Job Market
Here are a few details about the Turkey job market for expats:
Types of Turkey Work Visa Available
Here are the major types of visas available in Turkey, which differ according to the person’s reason for travel:
This visa is issued for foreign nationals willing to work in the country for remuneration. The Turkey work permit visa is further divided into subcategories according to the nature of work:
- Assigned Free Zone Workers
- Assigned Journalists
- Assigned Lecturers/Academics
- Employment Purpose/Special Employment Purpose
- Montage and Repairman Purposes
- Assigned Artists
- Assigned Sportsperson
Alongside the work visa, the employee must also obtain a work permit as working in Turkey without a permit is illegal. The Turkey work visa can be extended for two years when it expires for the first time.
This visa is issued to people coming to the country for certain business activities. The visa is valid for a duration of up to three to six months and cannot be renewed without any proper reason for an extension.
This visa is granted to students who wish to visit Turkey to study an academic course or to perform research.
Requirements for a Turkey Work Visa
To apply for a Turkey work visa, there are a few documents that an employee is required to submit on the day of the interview.
These are the following Turkey work visa requirements:
- ~A fully complete application form for Turkey work visa.
- ~A passport that is valid for at least six months from the date of arrival in Turkey.
- ~Two passport-sized photographs that were taken within six months.
- ~A valid police clearance certificate that proves that the employee is under no criminal investigation and was not involved in any legal issues in the past.
- ~An official job offer or contract with information related to the job position like the monthly salary and the period of work.
- ~A copy of a diploma or Provisional Graduation certificate.
- ~A sworn translation - an official certified translation of the graduation or diploma certificate.
- ~Medical insurance that covers the entire period of stay in Turkey.
- ~A copy of the rent agreement or real estate property proof in Turkey to prove the accommodation in the country.
- ~Proof of means of subsistence - This means that the employee has to give a piece of evidence to Turkish authorities about having at least €50 for daily spend during the stay.
- ~A proof of the roundtrip airplane tickets that one has to present to the embassy on the day of the interview.
Requirements for a Turkey Work Permit
The employer in Turkey has to submit the following documents on behalf of the employee for issuance of the Turkey Work Permit:
- ~A fully completed work permit application letter
- ~A foreign personnel application form
- ~A Trade Registry Gazette of Turkey that holds all the details of current shareholding and the capital structure of the organization.
- ~A balance sheet and the profit and loss statement for the recent year. This document should be certified by the tax office or by a public accountant who holds relevant certification.
- ~A notarized power of attorney for the person who is authorized to file the online application
Turkey Work Permit Visa Application Process
While applying for a Turkey work visa, the employee has to ensure that they choose the right category of visa and then follow the steps mentioned below:
- ~Just after receiving the job offer, the employee has to apply for a work visa in Turkey. The ideal time to apply is two months before they plan to leave for Turkey.
- ~After filling the visa application, the foreign nationals can directly submit it to their country of residence. However, some people will be required to hire an application center managed by a third party.
- ~Post applying, the employees must submit the required documents to the Ministry of Family, Labor, and Social Services within ten days.
- ~Once the employee attends their visa interview, they are required to notify the employer so that the end of the application process can be taken care of by them.
- ~Within ten days of the employee’s interview, the employer will send the required documents to the Turkish Ministry of Labor and Social Security (MLSS). This is required for verification and for issuing a work permit on behalf of the employee. If the documents are not submitted within the timeline, the employee’s application will be rejected.
Note: A Turkey work visa is incomplete without a work permit application. While the employee has to submit the application for a Turkey work visa, the work permit application must be submitted by the employer in Turkey.
A Turkish work permit is equivalent to a residence permit.
Timeframe for Work Permit Application
It takes approximately four working days to issue the reference number by the embassy. However, the timeframe can also depend on other factors like the number of applications submitted at the embassy, the authenticity of employees’ documents, and their travel history.
After the employee receives the reference number, the employer in Turkey is responsible for applying to MLSS within ten days. However, it may take up to 30 days to get a confirmation from MLSS. Thus, it is suggested to apply well in advance.
Overview of Turkey Work Permit Fee
The Turkey work permit fee includes the work permit certificate fee, Entry Visa fee, and Residence Fee. This fee also varies according to the foreign exchange rates. As a result, one must review the final amount before going ahead with the application process.
How Multiplier Can Help
We’re a global EOR solution with local entities located in over 150+ countries. We’re here to ease the process of onboarding for companies like you and help find talent from all over the world. Our HR suite is the brainchild of our in-house experts that guarantees end-to-end solutions to our users.
Use our SaaS-based solutions to request a Turkey work permit visa and let our well-equipped team ease your task. Our experts will manage the application process along with handling the documentation and costs. During this time, you will be kept updated about every step.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a medical test required for a Turkey work permit?
As per the required documents for the work permit of Turkey, it is not specified whether to get a medical examination. However, it is suggested to get a medical test done before traveling to a different country to ensure your own safety.
What is the limit required in the bank to get a Turkey work permit visa?
There is no need to show proof of funds for a Turkey work permit as the person has applied to work and earn in the country. However, to ensure a hassle-free stay, it is advised that the employee must have enough funds to support themselves during their stay.
How many months prior an employee should apply for the Turkey work permit and visa?
It takes approximately 30 working days for the MLSS to grant the work permit. Hence, the employee must apply at least a month in advance to avoid any hassle.
Who is eligible for a work visa?
To be eligible for the Turkey work visa, the employee must meet the following criteria:
- ~They must be living in their home country while applying for a work visa. If they live on a residence permit in another country, they will have to apply to their respective authority.
- ~They must have a valid passport which has a validity of at least six months from the date of arrival.
- ~They must be invited by the employer of a local entity in Turkey for work.
- ~They must have an official employment or job contract.