Why is Work Permit Needed?
Due to its steady economic growth, Mongolia has become one of the hotspots for foreign businesses. Foreign employees who wish to work in the country must have a valid Mongolian work visa. The visa process is initiated by the Mongolian employer and approved by the Mongolia Immigration agency.
About the Mongolia Job Market
Number of Expats:
23,737 (Numbers are prone to change)
Popular Industries for Expats:
Construction, Oil, Mining, and Textile
Types of Mongolia Work Visa Available
Here are the types of Mongolian work visas which vary according to the purpose of the visit:
Single-Entry Business Visa (B Visa)
This visa is issued to foreign nationals visiting Mongolia. The employer will share the visa invitation letter and details of the conference. The validity of the B visa is 30 days. The native company sponsors the visa.
Work Permit (HG Visa)
This visa is granted to foreign nationals who want to work in Mongolia. The interested foreign employee must obtain the visa before they arrive in Mongolia along with their residence permit. The employer in Mongolia is responsible for applying for the visa on behalf of the employee.
Foreign Investor Visa (T Visa)
This visa is for foreign nationals who wish to invest in a Mongolian company or hold the position of an executive director in a company in Mongolia. This visa is permitted for either six months or a year and can be renewed when it expires.
Some of the companies might need a combination of these visas to start their operations in the country. However, most of the employees will require a Mongolian work visa (HG visa) to work in Mongolia.
Requirements for a Mongolia Work Permit
The following are the documents that must be submitted to start the Mongolian work visa application process.
- Cover letter.
- Completed application form.
- Passport valid for at least one year.
- Copies of the passport pages, which contains the applicant’s name, passport number, date of the passport was issued, expiry date, and day of birth of the applicant.
- Employer’s certificate of registration in Mongolia.
Mongolia Work Permit Application Process
In Mongolia, an employer initiates the application process to onboard a foreign employee. Here is the detailed process for getting a Mongolian work visa.
1. The prospective employee must receive a letter of invitation issued by the Mongolian company. It is the responsibility of the employer to submit a request to the Mongolian Immigration Agency and provide the prospective employee’s CV and other relevant documents along with a copy of the employment contract issued. The agency will further consult with the Labour and Welfare Agency and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade. After getting approval from all three organizations, the visa invitation letter will be shared with the Mongolian consulate or embassy from where the employee resides.
2. After getting the invitation, the employee has to apply for a Mongolian work visa (HG visa). For this, the employee can visit the consulate or embassy of Mongolia in their country of residence.
3. The employee can travel to Mongolia after getting the HG visa. However, upon arrival, the prospective employee has to register their address with the Mongolian Immigration Agency. This registration process must be completed within seven days of arrival.
4. In addition to the registration of address, the employee has to obtain a Mongolia work permit. To do that, one has to submit an application to the Labour and Welfare agency along with the documents listed in the above section.
5. Followed by this, the employer has to apply for an HG work visa extension and a residence permit. Initially, the HG visa is valid for only 30 days. After arriving in Mongolia, the employer is responsible for applying to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade for visa extension. Post this, the work visa is valid for a year, and a person can make multiple entries. During this process, the employer must also apply for a long-term residence permit which has validity for a year.
Once all the procedures are completed, a foreign employee can legally work in Mongolia.
Work Permit Exceptions and Special Cases
As an employer, you should know that the Mongolian government has set a quota on the number of foreign workers one can employ. This quota is decided every year by the government and can most likely vary based on the sector in which your company works. This quota is usually agreed to be between 5% to 20% of a company’s total workforce in the country.
How Multiplier Can Help
We’re a global EOR solution with local entities in over 150+ countries. Our mission is to simplify the onboarding process for companies like you and help you manage talent from various parts of the world. Our platform provides end-to-end Mongolian work visa solutions to our users.
With our SaaS-based solutions, you can raise a request for a Mongolian work visa. Our team of experts will simplify your task by managing the entire process, from the processing time to the document checklist to the costs. During the whole process, you will be kept notified about the progress.